New Model Building Guide
Waugh Thistleton Architects in collaboration with expert fire engineers at University College London, structural engineers at Buro Happold and cost consultancy from Gardiner & Theobald has developed the New Model Building. Partly funded by Built by Nature it sets out design principles demonstrating how mass timber can be used safely to construct residential buildings up to 18m in height, pre-assessed by the national warranty provider NHBC and in full compliance with UK building regulations and local policy set by bodies such as the Greater London Authority.
This overview Guide describes why we need the New Model Building and what it includes.
New Model Building consists of three separate publications; a Guide Book, Details Book, and Evidence Book. Each can be downloaded individually from the TDUK website for free. Please note you must be logged in to download.
- Fully compliant with current building regulations
- Will receive a EWS1 form
- Using the New Model Building principles can facilitate a fast track approvals process by NHBC
- A suite of open-source easy-to-use documents that explain the design principles and details of the New Model Building
- 70% reduction in whole life carbon compared to a traditional concrete build
- Upfront Carbon 326 kgCO2e/m2 – LCA B
- Embodied Carbon A-C 271 kgCO2e/m2 –LCA A+