CE to UKCA Marking (January Update)

CE to UKCA Marking (January Update)

Date Published

9 January 2023

Document Type





For many wood products the UKCA situation is very clear as market requirements are based on Harmonised European Standards which are published as the list of UK Designated standards found here.

Most products are at AVCP Level 2+ or AVCP Level 4, which means that either no input is required from a UK Approved Body (Level 4), or just oversight of the Factory Production Control (Level 2+). In either case manufacturers can already move ahead to UKCA marking.

Key Information

Level CE 2+ Manufacturers can move to UKCA marking once they:

  • have registered with a UK Approved Body,
  • have adjusted their quality manual,
  • and received their UKCA certificate reference.

This UKCA mark may be on its own or could be alongside a CE mark if the manufacturer chooses to retain their registration with an EU Notified Body. A good example of this is Structural Timber, which uses the harmonised standard BS.EN.14081, or Structural Plywood which uses BS.EN.13986.

I'm interested in:

Case studies

Cork House is unique; it is the built form of a radical new approach to construction and sustainable design.

There is nothing in the building regulations that prohibits high-rise timber buildings, although the practical limit (and current
code limitation) for stud wall timber frame is seven storeys. The Stadthaus (German for townhouse) is – with eight floors of timber structure – the tallest habitable timber building in the world.